Pages

Lately I've been sewing..

Though I don't have currently have a job, I've been working really hard at not becoming the stereotypical unemployed person, sitting on the couch/in bed watching trashy TV all day (although I can't say I haven't done this a couple of times..)

So in an effort to stay occupied I've been organising, cleaning and sewing up a storm!
I thought I'd share a few things that I've made recently, as well as some of the projects that are on my to do list..



I was given this pattern by Eli's amazing Nan, along with a whole bunch of other vintage sewing patterns and home books (best. day. ever.) As soon as I came across this adorable boat fabric at the op shop I knew it would be perfect for a little nautical-themed outfit..





The darts at the bottom give a really great fitted shape, but the blouse is kind of looser up top for a nice relaxed look.

Ironing.. who does that?

My first time using my sewing machines automatic button hole.. I was very impressed! So much easier than my old sewing machines manual setting!! I went with these clear buttons sewn on with some blue cotton because I just could not find a colour that didn't make it look super tacky.

The collar ended up a little bit different to the picture but overall I'm really happy with it!
I've got plans to make another one, maybe with a different collar variation (round collar?!) in this adorable fabric:

Ladybugs!

After I had finished the blouse I decided I needed to make a matching skirt, which I wore on my Hanging Rock outing. After I had finished the skirt I decided it also needed a matching jacket, just to make it a whole outfit of course!




I drafted this dolman-sleeved cropped jacket from the pattern below.. It's the first jacket I've ever made, and simple as it was I'm pretty proud of it! 


I wanted the jacket to have a more 50's look, so I changed this 80's jacket pattern to include dolman sleeves, as well as more pronounced front darts and also darts in the back.


Then there was the dress I made to wear to the Skyways Are Highways residency on Thursday. I picked up this lovely fabric at the op shop when I stopped in on a whim and as soon as I had it I knew I wanted to make a pretty, summery dress.


I remembered that I had this beautiful 50's pattern in my stash, so drew up a little modified version..


I was so happy with how it turned out - you can see it in my last post :)

My last project for the week was a little bit nerve-wracking. A lady I used to work with contacted me last week and asked if I would be interested in making something for her to wear on a special Valentines Day date. I agreed, and she became my very first paying customer!


I can be a bit of a perfectionist, particularly when I know someone is going to be examining something I've made very closely, so I was suuuuper nervous handing it over! Luckily everything worked out, it fits and she loved it :)

So, whats on my list for next week?


This absolutely beautiful, mid-weight, slightly shiny cotton fabric with a floral pattern in blues, greens and mustard.. I definitely want to make a dress out of this but I'm just trying to figure out the perfect pattern. Perhaps a simple, short sleeved wiggle dress?

(from here)


And out of the light-weight houndstooth-y fabric I am planning on making a little 60's style jacket, cigarette pants AND, if I have enough fabric left over, a simple pencil skirt.

I can't wait to get started on these projects!! Do you have anything you're currently working on or have recently finished? Let me know, I'd love to have a look :)

7 comments:

  1. Look at you go!
    These all look amazing.

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm rather on a roll I think ;)

      Delete
  2. I've always admired people who can sew. It seem so hard and mind bobbling for me! Needless to say I love the pieces you made! You're not only beautiful and intelligent, but creative and talented, damn you!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww you are too kind, I promise it's not as hard as it seems, and I am incredibly impatient and lazy so thats saying something!!

      Delete
  3. You have been busy. I adore your fabric, especially the ladybugs..so sweet. I look forward seeing to the cigarette pant and jacket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't resist the ladybugs! I hope they turn out well, I will definitely report back!

      Delete
  4. That jacket is awesome, I bought extra fabric when I went shopping for a skirt I wanted to make, in hopes I would find a jacket pattern just like the one you made!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...